Help and support
Let us help you find what you're looking for
Can I have a prepayment meter?
There are lots of advantages to having a prepayment meter installed. Be aware you'll need to keep your meter topped up because you have to pay in advance for the energy you use.
We want to provide you with the best service, please weigh up the features of the meter and decide if it's right for you:
- You'll have control over how much money you spend on electricity and gas.
- You'll no longer receive bills requesting a lump-sum payment.
- Annual statements will show you how much gas or electricity you've used.
- There's emergency credit stored on the meter in case you run out and can't charge your key/card for any reason. You can then pay back the value of any emergency credit that's been used the next time you top up and charge your meter.
- You can use your prepayment meter to repay any outstanding money you owe us. Your payments are spread over a time period that suits you, in agreed amounts that you can afford, interest-free.
- Unlike other members who have a standard meter, if you're using a prepayment meter to pay debt and it's under £500, you can switch suppliers and transfer the debt.
Things to be aware of
- We'll send you your new prepayment electricity key or gas card, which you can top up at any Paypoint, Payzone or Post Office. You can then charge your meter with credit using the key or card. It's important that you use this new key or card to make sure you're paying the right price for your energy.
- If you leave home for several days, you must remember to charge your key or card and to credit your meter. This is because your credit is also used to pay for your daily standing charge and any debt repayments - so if you don't charge your meter enough before going away, appliances that you may want to have on all the time (for example, freezers) may switch off.
- You have to pay in advance for the energy you use.
If you'd like to have a prepayment meter, simply contact us and we’ll book this for you, free of charge.