£Take the CashBack Challenge

Help and support

Let us help you find what you're looking for

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I add a Mobile service?

Switching to us couldn't be simpler – we'll handle the entire process for you.

If you'd like to switch to us and keep your existing mobile number, we'll need a Port Authorisation Code – known as a PAC for short.

It's really easy to get a PAC – just text 'PAC' to 65075 for free.

You cancel your current contract and switch to us and get a new number. To do this, we'll need a Service Termination Authorisation Code – or STAC for short.

It's really easy to get a STAC – just text 'STAC' to 75075 for free.

Click here start your mobile switch.

If you're an existing member, it's quick to add a mobile on the Clubhouse, or by simply giving us a call.

Was this answer helpful?

The content on our site is provided for general information only. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.